The use of a Direct Address for healthcare providers to share patient information works the same as email, but with the addition of secured encryption of the body of the message and any attachments. This encryption protects patient information.
In August/September 2019, GLHC transitions all Direct Address participants to a new web application. This transition allows GLHC to continue providing a HIPAA compliant and efficient application for years to come. There will be no interruption in service during this transition.
Identity Verification Process
The process can take 3 – 10 business days. Identity verification is required for at least one individual for every organization that uses GLHC Direct.
The first step in this process is completing the Authorized Business Representative form. The Direct Administrator who will create/manage Direct user accounts completed Section II and should be a different individual than the one who completes and signs Section III: Organization Officer. The Organization Officer (i.e. Manager of the Authorized Business Representative) completing Section III must have the authority to designate the Authorized Business Representative to act on behalf of the organization. Email the completed form to email@example.com. The form requires the organization’s FEI/EIN and NPI (if applicable).
- Getting started
- Account setting and preferences
- Using GLHC Direct Messaging
- Files and folders
- Managing contacts
- Message status reports
Great Lakes Health Connect (GLHC) publishes HISP (Health Information Service Provider) directories as a service to the healthcare community and for informational purposes only. A listing in a directory is not a GLHC endorsement of the provider or the organization. The directories are updated regularly, but GLHC does not guarantee accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of each directory. Direct addresses should always be confirmed before sending Protected Health Information (PHI) or other confidential information. Use of the directories is authorized only to transmit patient information for treatment purposes; any other purpose is expressly prohibited.
To send and receive Direct messages, a HISP needs to be part of the Direct Trust Bundle or the HISPs need to have shared trusted certificated with each other. GLHC cannot guarantee the delivery of Direct messages sent to addresses listed within these directories.
Great Lakes Health Connect Directory
- Great Lakes Health Connect – 12/18/2019
Other Organizations Direct Addresses
- Beaumont Health System – 05/01/2018
- Great Lakes Bay Health Center – 12/03/2019
- Hamilton Community Health Network – 01/20/2020 – NEW!
- Henry Ford Health System – 03/01/2018
- Hurley Medical Center – 07/09/2019
- Metro Health Hospital – 11/15/2017
- Michigan Medicine – 01/01/2020 – NEW!
- Midland Family Physicians – 01/25/2019
- MidMichigan Health – 04/02/2019
- Munson Healthcare – 11/08/2019
- ObGyn Associates of Holland PC – 06/18/2018
- Pediatric Ophthalmology PC – 9/5/2019
- Sparrow Health System – 09/30/2019
- Spectrum Health
- West Michigan Rheumatology – 07/09/2018
If your organization would like to have a Direct address directory posted on the GLHC website please follow these steps:
- Download the Direct Address Directory Template
- Complete the spreadsheet – do not change the column order or make other formatting changes
- Save the spreadsheet in this format … Organization Name Direct Addresses MMDDYYYY
- Send the completed spreadsheet to Direct@gl-hc.org with the following information
- Organization Name
- Finalized Date
- Contact Name, Title, Contact Information
- Approximate date of next update